Q 1 - Do I need a permit to remove less than 10 trees on my property?
A 1 – A permit is not required, however you do need to ensure you have met the following:
1. Canopy coverage outlined below. If you are not able to determine the canopy coverage please fill out the application and supporting documentation and the City will be happy to assist you.
2. Specimen trees are not being removed without replacement. If a specimen tree/s has to be removed replacement will be required twice the actual tree canopy of the specimen tree that was removed or twice the tree canopy at maturity.
Q 2- What trees must not be removed?
A 2- You are not permitted to remove trees required by zoning, trees/landscaping approved on a plat, trees located in a stream buffer or a floodplain. If you are not sure please contact the City directly for clarification.
Q 3- What must I submit with the Application?
A 3 – Submit the following:
• A site plan showing location of the trees to be removed and location of the trees (s) to be replanted. Please indicate tree species.
• Photos of tree/s to be removed.
• If tree to be removed is a Specimen Tree, please provide letter from Arborist documenting the condition of tree and reason for removal.
Q 4 – Do I need a permit to remove 10 trees or more on my property?
A 4– In removing 10 trees or more a land disturbance permit will be required. The cost will be $150.
The following documentation will be required:
• Land Disturbance Permit Application
• Land disturbance plan - plan showing trees to be removed and how erosion will be prevented.
• Landscaping - plan showing tree replacement (canopy coverage must be met).
• Photos of trees to be removed
• If tree/s to be removed are classified as a Specimen Tree, please provide letter from Arborist documenting the condition of tree and reason for removal.
Q 5– How do I know if the trees to be removed includes a specimen tree?
A 5– The application provided shows the steps in determining if a tree is classified as a specimen tree.
Q 6 – How long is the review process?
A 6 – The review process may take 5 to 10 business days.
Q 7– What will happen if I do not meet the canopy requirement?
A 7- The applicant will be required to replant trees or add additional trees. Any other requirement by the City will be communicated to the applicant.
*You are not permitted to remove trees required by zoning, trees located in a stream buffer or trees located in the floodplain.
ABSOLUTELY NO REVIEW REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING (Section 12-5):
1. Removal of trees by public utility companies and government agencies conducting operations on public and utility rights-of-way and easements or on sites for electric power substations and similar facilities.
2. Horticultural operations such as farms, nurseries or orchards.
3. Property in use for tree harvesting or other agricultural activities. No person or firm harvesting standing timber for delivery as pulpwood, logs, poles, posts, or wood chips to any wood yard or processing plant shall be required to obtain any city permit for such harvesting or hauling of forest products (Reference: O.C.G.A. 12-6-24).
4. Removal of trees from detention ponds and drainage easements where necessary for construction, maintenance or operation of such ponds or drainage improvements.
5. Removal of any dead tree, or any “hazard” tree as defined. However, please keep personal records in the event you get cited by Code Enforcement.